The summer isn't fully here, but the heat sure is. When it comes to natural hair, more heat means less moisture. So it is super important to protect your tresses from being fried. Overexposure to the sun can break down the protein in your hair, leaving it dry and brittle. Here are 5 helpful tips to help combat 90+ degree weather:
- Lots of Leave- In Conditioner- leave in conditioners coat and protect the hair giving your hair a boost of nourishment and shine. Fine hair use lightweight conditioners. Thick hair use a creamy rich conditioner. Kurlee Belle's Thirsty Kurls Leave-In conditioner provides lots of slip for de tangling and contains a ton of nutrients for dry damaged hair.
- Deep Treatments- Conditioning treatments add protein and nutrients to the hair. To retain moisture balance, aim to deep condition at least once a week or twice a week. Your hair will love the extra TLC and you may see some length retention. Kurlee Belle's Banana Nut & Avocado Deep Treatment is a smooth concoction that strengthens, conditions and enhances growth.
- Oils- Oils help to lock in moisture by forming a protective layer over the hair shaft. After applying conditioner to wet hair, coat with oil to lock in moisture. Lightly spray the hair with water and apply oil each day. This will do wonders for your tresses. Pay close attention to the ends for length retention. Jojoba, coconut or extra virgin olive oil are my favourite picks. Kurlee Belle Tropical Oils Blend contains a special mix of essential oils to keep hair strong and moisturized.
- Cool water- rinsing your hair with cool water closes up the hair cuticle and seals in moisture from conditioning products. You can shampoo with warm water to remove dirt and build up but always rinse out conditioner with cool water. Kurlee Belle's Almond & Shea Butter Moisturizing Shampoo contains the right balance of cleansing and mositurizing agents.
- Wet hair before swimming- Dry hair absorbs everything. Ever wonder why your hair expands when it is humid out? It is because it is dry. Before jumping in the pool, completely wet your hair with water to avoid it soaking up unwanted chemicals like chlorine.
Extra tip: If you will be spending extra time in the sun, invest in a straw hat. It works wonders in protecting your hair from UV rays.
Follow us on Instagram @terrinique