Tuesday, November 13, 2012

What's The Problem With My Hair During Cold Months?


Photo Source


My hair just does not look the same, I don't know what is wrong with it. My twist outs, braid outs and wash n go's are not as defined as they used to be. What's the problem? 

As the seasons transition from summer to fall to winter to spring, so do the needs of our hair. If you have been natural for awhile then you may have noticed that your hair care regimen needs to change with the season. For instance, protein heavy products may have been used during the summer months because of the humidity but those same products tend to dry out your hair during the fall or winter months. Here are some helpful tips to help with your hair's transition from warm to cooler temperatures. 


Daily Condition & Moisture

If you live in a cooler climate, the cold months can wreak havoc on your hair. One minute you are in the blazing snow, the next your sitting by the fireplace with the heat on blast. The change in temperature from cold to hot and hot to cold can dry out the hair. To avoid damaging your tresses, frequent conditioning is a must. Curly hair is porous so conditioners fill in the gaps of the cuticle to lock in moisture. A good hair care routine during this time, would be to incorporate daily conditioning or moisturizing. 

In my spray bottle, I mix one half of my favorite conditioner, one half H20 and a couple spoons of olive oil or coconut oil. This mixture gives me the right amount of moisture and conditioning to fight the dry air. I usually style my hair each night by re-twisting it, before I re-twist, I spray about two pumps of my mixture onto my hands and rub in a downward motion through the hair (This step is repeated for each section). 


Deep Treatments

We all know we should do it but avoid this crucial step. I love meeting new naturals. One of the reasons is I get to talk "Hair Care Regimen" and almost always the new natural that I've met says "I know I should do a deep treatment once a week but I don't". Deep Treatments are a crucial step in the hair care process and to grow, long, healthy, shiny hair. This step should be followed no matter what season it is. Depending on the needs of your hair, you may need a protein treatment, oil treatment or cream based treatment. I prefer to alternate between the three during the cool months. To help make your decision easier, check out my post---->Deep Treatments & Oil Treatments


Sealants

You've conditioned your hair with a wash out conditioner then applied a leave in conditioner. It is now time to seal those curls and lock in the moisture. Everyone's hair is different so an oil that works best for me, may not work for you. Some oils that have been proven to work better during the cooler months are jojoba, rosemary and lavender. These oils are easily absorbed and help keep your hair and scalp in good condition. Check out my post on how to make rosemary oil at home---> Rosemary Oil: Hair Growth in a Bottle


Stylers

You've searched long and hard all summer for the perfect styling creme. It's fall now and that perfect creme forms less than perfect curls. Although, it may seem very discouraging right now, it is time to bring out your inner product junkie and the good news is most products go on sale during the holidays!!!! If you like using gels to form your curls, opt for a non alcoholic based gel during the chilly season. Avoiding humectants is a good idea too! Humectants draw in moisture from the air and cause your curls to swell and get bent out of shape. Ingredients like honey, glycerin, panthenol, hydrolyzed wheat protein and propylene glycol are common humectants and may be the reason why your summer styling products are not working in the fall/winter. Also, since you are using more product during the winter, it is important that the hair is cleansed properly to avoid build up. I am not a fan of co-washing. If I am going to wash my hair, the product must have a cleanser in it. Properly washing your hair helps the styling gel or creme to work better because the product does not have to fight through a ton of dirt and grime to form beautiful curls. 

Accessorize

Cooler months are a great time to wear woven hats, beanies and fedoras. These options are not only stylish and can add the extra oomph to your outfit but protect your hair from the harsh winds of the cold. Not to mention that it will keep your head a little warm...I don't know about you but I do not like it when my ears are cold :). 


Want to add to the list? Please leave your comment below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs