Tuesday, August 9, 2011

5 things I have learned from my Natural Hair.


#1- My hair has a mind of its own. Even though I want it to hang down onto my face, it insists on sticking up in the air. To tame it I pin it down or flexi rod it but in the end it does whatever it wants. 


#2- Dryness comes with the territory. Oils, water and conditioners are its best friend. Daily regimen includes spraying with water, applying oil (Vitamin E, Olive oil, etc) then conditioning before twisting or braiding. 


#3- My quest for the perfect curl as Elle would say is endless. The hair on the sides and back are kinkier than the front and the middle. Styling can be unpredictable. My twist outs never look the same but its my hair what can I say. 


#4- My hair is forgiving. Over the years I have permed, mirco braided, weaved, colored, cut, shaved and fried it but it continues to stand up proudly on my head. We have been through a lot but thank goodness it has forgiven me for I have sinned against it. 


#5 My hair is beautiful. I am kind of mad at my mom for relaxing my beautiful curls because I know I would have a long head of curly hair if she didn't. The first time I saw my curls was at the age 23. My only regret is that I didn't introduce them to the world sooner. 


Everyday I learn something new about how to style or care for my hair. I know that my hair compliments my dark complexion. It allows me to change up my look, I can be preppy one day and afro centric the next. All in all, there is no potion in a jar that allows others to get my hair texture which lets me know that I am unique. It is so beautiful and different that others are amazed and want to touch it---but this ain't no petting zoo. It may sometimes be looked at as being unprofessional or too African but the good Lord thinks it's beautiful and that's why he gave it to me. 


This is for the transitioners who sometimes get frustrated and want to go back to relaxers. Remember it is a marathon not a sprint. It is hard in the beginning but the end result is well worth it. Better to be the best BEAUTIFUL version of yourself than an average version of someone else. At the end of the day there is more to you than your hair and never let anyone keep you down because of the way your hair grows out of your scalp. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs