Wednesday, July 27, 2011

We are not alone.





Ladies I think that I've cracked the code when it comes to the world's fascination with our naturally curly hair. After reading the latest natural hair article on CNN.com  "Can I touch it?" The fascination with natural, African American Hair about other races wanting to touch our extraordinary, exotic, eccentric or strange hair. I ran across "A "Hair" -oing Tale: What does it mean for your career?"  in the Huffington Post. Writer Manisha Thakor talks about the disdain that she felt after reading an article in the Daily Beast about Rebekah Brook's "totally fierce" red curls (The article in the Daily Beast was actually written by a sister- I won't get into this right now). This article along with a string of other articles all seemed to be centered around Rebekah Brooks' extraordinary red curly hair instead of the phone hacking scandal. Here is a little tidbit about what the press has been saying about Rebekeh Brook's hair. 

Her hair hung thick and loose below her shoulders like a dense tangle of vines. It was free and unruly; it was hair that had been released from any need to be controlled and tidy.

Brooks' hair was a distraction because it was a ballsy rebuke of our expectations governing how people on the defensive are supposed to tread. There was no suggestion of humility, timidity, or caution. There was no attempt to disappear into doleful anonymity.
That was look-at-me hair -- stare at me, remember me. Me, me, me.
I refuse to believe that the world is still this ignorant to the hair that naturally grows out of a women's head. My words to you are "We are not alone in our struggle to be accepted with afro textured hair." The majority of the world simply can't handle anything that defies the norm.
What are your thoughts?
For hair tips, tricks, trends and news follows us on TwitterFacebook and Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs