Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Lil Mama to Natural Hair Haters



I wish I had Lil Mama's mailing address, I would send her a "Kiss My Kurls" natural hair tank! Lil Mama posted a pic of her afro on twitter and started to receive tweets from natural hair haters. Here is what she had to say:

"I posted the picture of my hair and people were like ‘Omg you look like a shocked slave!' I didn’t get one comment from a white person about my hair. All of them came from the sisters that had these bullsh** helmut weaves looking like a fake a** Nicki Minaj. They don’t know who they are. And the people they’re looking to for guidance don’t know who they are either, which sucks."

Here is the photo she posted to Twitter: 


What are you thinking? 

7 comments:

  1. Love it!!! Being natural takes getting use to who you truly are without perms, weaves, etc. So a lot of US are so blinded by what we've known all or most of our lives that it's hard to transition mentally. Lil Mama let them hate do you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Vanessa. It took me awhile to accept my natural hair texture and find styles that complimented my face. Going natural is definitely a journey and we don't need any external negativity surrounding it.

      Delete
  2. I feel like it should be noted that we are attacking ourselves, while Caucasians just looked on. Smh, why do we have to be this way with each other? The truth?: we breed it amongst ourselves at young ages with slave jokes, and nappy-headed jokes, this breeding hair typing and low self esteem. Being natural is a way to take back possession of who you were born as.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like it should be noted that we are attacking ourselves, while Caucasians just looked on. Smh, why do we have to be this way with each other? The truth?: we breed it amongst ourselves at young ages with slave jokes, and nappy-headed jokes, this breeding hair typing and low self esteem. Being natural is a way to take back possession of who you were born as.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going natural is a reaffirmation of who we are as Black women. Why do we need to define beauty based on the European's frame of reference ie straight hair, lighter toned skin. They were born with their hair like that. Why are we born with our naturally coiled hair and try to straighten it to look like theirs.I have been natural for 1yr (no full head weaves either:) and I feel like I have shaken off all that bull**** we have subscribed to ie good hair, beadie bees,etc. Lil Mama shouldn't feel any ways about ignorant people's comments...they will FOREVER be in shackles mentally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Laura Lee. Well said.

      Delete

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs